Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Lots and lots of turpentine

Belladonna (detail), oil, ink, spray paint on linen, 64 x 74 inches, 2015
Its been a mad mad summer of ferociously painting as I ready for two solo exhibitions this fall. Yowza! Each exhibition will have two large paintings on linen made with brushes that vary from 1/16 of an inch to 8 inches wide. There are far more layers in the new work and I'm working with more glazes and thinner paint.  Needless to say, I'm doing a lot of brush cleaning and going through mad gallons of turpentine and mineral spirits. The above snippet is of a painting titled Belladonna that will be in the Columbus exhibition with the fabulous and amazing Angela Meleca Gallery. The exhibition will open with a reception Thursday, September 17th from 5:30 - 8:30pm. Randall, Arlo and I will all be in attendance.  We hope to see some friendly faces!

The other exhibition will be at The Bonfoey Gallery in Cleveland, Ohio. This exhibition will open with a reception Friday, October 2nd from 5 - 8pm.  I hope all my Cleveland peeps can come out and play! Stay tuned for more info as we near the events.

I'm pleased to announce that I've received an honorable mention in the Dave Bown Projects 10th Semiannual Competition.  I'm among some pretty great company including another Cleveland native, Sarah Kabot, who won the top prize. Yeah!!

In other news, the drawing I sent to Australia arrived safely.  Evidently the first exhibition was well received and the work has moved on to the second gallery location. Its odd having artwork so far away.

I had the pleasure of attending the CAN Journal Friendraiser at Keith Berr Studio last Thursday night and what a treat! I got to meet some extraordinary folks and catch up with some art buds that I've been missing this year, including Frank Oriti just back from his European tour, and these two beauties Liz Maugans and Jen Craun:


Things are starting to wind down in the studio as some of the pressure is off, so I'm ready to get out and enjoy some of this summer.  Top things on my list? Going for a hike with the fantastic Amber D Kempthorn, and grabbing some nibbles with my bud Miss Amy Casey before she takes off for her Alaskan residency (photo below by Lou Muenz). Cheers folks!


No comments: