Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Fulcrum

This is a new piece titled Fulcrum, 48 x 36 inches. I've started using sharpie marker in the paintings and am really enjoying the results. They do get a little clogged from time to time which is annoying. The earlier work that I did at the end of 2007 and earlier in 2008 was much looser and included the black forms in paint and in the shape of the figure only. For a long time I thought I needed the figure in my painting at all costs and now am beginning to think I only need the contrast of painted form and line. I've started using crawling cellular structure (as in Frost Bite shown in previous blog) and these lines and hinky little animals. This painting still uses the figure but I wonder if I am getting away from her. I guess I'll just have to see how it plays out.

1 comment:

hplovecraft68 said...

I once read this article about how humans are always looking for faces and that's why we see faces in clouds and things. Your painting made me think of that because I see a face like gas mask or maybe a fly.

I've always liked olive green.